2016 Nomination Fast Facts
- This year’s top-nominated artist, Drake, sets a new AMA record for most nominations in a single year with 13 nominations, surpassing Michael Jackson’s previous record of 11 nominations in 1984. If Drake wins in any of his categories, it will be his first AMA win.
- Justin Bieber will match current record holder Taylor Swift for the most Artist of the Year wins (3) if he takes home this year’s award. With 8 past wins and 5 nominations this year, Justin has the chance to become one of the top 10 winners of all-time if he wins in at least 1 of his categories.
- With 9 past wins, Rihanna is one of the top 10 AMA winners of all-time. As the current record holder for the most wins (5) in the Favorite Female Artist – Soul/R&B category, Rihanna will go head-to-head with Beyoncé in the same category for the second consecutive year.
- Beyoncé, a 22-time AMA nominee, is tied with Aretha Franklin and Mariah Carey for the second highest number of awards for Favorite Female Artist – Soul/R&B (4), after current record holder Rihanna who leads with 5 wins in this category. With 6 past wins and 4 nominations this year, Beyoncé has the chance to become one of the top 10 winners of all-time if she wins at least 3 awards.
- Adele is a four-time AMA winner. Nominated for Favorite Artist – Adult Contemporary, Adele will tie with Celine Dion for the most wins in this category if she takes home the award this year.
- Nine-time AMA winner, Carrie Underwood, has 3 wins for Favorite Female Artist – Country (2007, 2014, 2015). She will defend her title this year against newcomers Cam and Kelsea Ballerini. Carrie is also a first-time nominee for the top honor, Artist of the Year.
- The Weeknd, a two-time AMA winner, is nominated in 3 categories including Artist of the Year, Favorite Male Artist – Pop/Rock and Favorite Male Artist – Soul/R&B, where he will defend his title against Chris Brown and Bryson Tiller.
- Enrique Iglesias dominates the Favorite Artist – Latin category with 7 wins, the most of any Latin artist. This will be his 8th win in the category, should he take the award home again this year.
- The Chainsmokers, DNCE and Twenty One Pilots are all first-time American Music Award nominees. The three will go head-to-head for Favorite Duo or Group – Pop/Rock, while The Chainsmokers and DNCE will also face off for the coveted New Artist of the Year Unleashed by T-Mobile award.
Latest From American Music Awards